Bola Indonesia Official
BolaINDONESIAEN
WC 2026 🏆
GK+
FIFA Fires Executive Who Criticized Cup Investment
World Cup 2026 (fifa World Cup 2026)

FIFA Fires Executive Who Criticized Cup Investment

August 20, 2026 · Perú

Bagikan:

Kevin Lamour, FIFA's COO, was fired after criticizing Gianni Infantino's World Cup privatization plans, which drew widespread opposition from the football community.

FIFA Fires Executive Who Criticized Cup Investment

According to News.

Background

Kevin Lamour, who has worked at FIFA for two years, previously had extensive experience at UEFA. His criticism of Infantino reflects broader dissatisfaction among FIFA members regarding the direction of the organization, especially in the context of preparations for the upcoming World Cup.

Why this is important

Kevin Lamour's dismissal highlights internal tensions within FIFA regarding the direction of the organization's policies, especially ahead of the 2026 World Cup. Gianni Infantino's World Cup privatization plan has drawn sharp criticism from various parties, including more than half of FIFA's member countries. This shows that there are significant differences in views regarding how this prestigious tournament should be managed.

Main Points

  • FIFA Fires Executive Who Criticized Cup Investment.
  • Kevin Lamour, FIFA's COO, was fired after criticizing Gianni Infantino's World Cup privatization plans, which drew widespread opposition from the football community.
  • FIFA fires exec who ripped off Gianni Infantino's World Cup investment disaster.

FIFA is back in the spotlight following the dismissal of Kevin Lamour, the organization's Chief Operating Officer (COO), which came after he publicly criticized FIFA President Gianni Infantino's investment plans. Lamour was sacked on 17 August 2026, a decision announced by FIFA via an official statement on Monday. In its statement, FIFA thanked Lamour for his two years of service and wished him the best for his future.

In a letter to FIFA staff, FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom explained that the decision was taken after careful consideration and with great respect for Lamour, both personally and professionally. He said, "I felt it was important to provide this update personally and would like to thank Kevin for his contribution and for his work and commitment to FIFA every day."

Lamour's criticism of Infantino focused on his highly unpopular plan to privatize the World Cup through an equity investment scheme. This plan, which proposed creating a $20 billion subsidiary to manage the tournament, was opposed by more than half of FIFA's 211 member countries. Lamour, who worked alongside Infantino since 2007 at UEFA before joining FIFA, expressed his view last month that FIFA's mission is to serve football, not to fulfill the personal interests of someone who thinks he is FIFA.

Image

"If that means I lose my job, then that is the consequence I have to accept. At least I will sleep soundly tonight," Lamour said in a statement describing his dissatisfaction with the plan. Lamour considers privatization plans involving companies led by Josh Kushner, the new owner of the Los Angeles Lakers, as a potentially detrimental move for FIFA and football as a whole.

Lamour's criticism appears to be a turning point for Infantino, who has also faced criticism regarding his personal behaviour. Previously, Infantino was reported to have had a relationship with a junior employee while serving as UEFA general secretary, and the relationship ended with payments to the woman.

Prior to this controversy, Infantino even reportedly asked for help from the Trump administration to retain his post amid calls for his resignation. Infantino's $20 billion investment plan, which was planned to be created in a subsidiary called FIFA Forward Enterprise, was ultimately scrapped after widespread resistance from football federations around the world, including the Norwegian football federation and European football's governing body which threatened to boycott the World Cup if the plan went ahead.

In a meeting held in Morocco this month, FIFA confirmed its support for Infantino seeking re-election as president in March, despite admitting there were "mistakes" in the investment proposal. Lamour was not present at the meeting, indicating that his working relationship with FIFA has ended.

What happened next

With Lamour's sacking, FIFA may look for a replacement who is in line with Infantino's vision for the World Cup. This decision could influence FIFA's strategy and policies ahead of the 2026 World Cup, especially in terms of investment and tournament management. The global football community will continue to monitor these developments, considering their impact on the future of the competition.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened to Kevin Lamour?

Kevin Lamour was fired from his position as FIFA Chief Operating Officer after criticizing FIFA President Gianni Infantino's investment plans.

Who confirmed Kevin Lamour's dismissal?

Kevin Lamour's dismissal was announced by FIFA in an official statement on Monday.

Why is this firing happening now?

The dismissal came after Lamour publicly criticized Infantino's unpopular investment plans, which were opposed by more than half of FIFA's member countries.

What changes does Gianni Infantino propose?

Gianni Infantino proposes to privatize the World Cup through an equity investment scheme by creating a $20 billion subsidiary to manage the tournament.

What was the FIFA Secretary General's response to Lamour's dismissal?

FIFA Secretary General, Mattias Grafstrom, stated that the decision to dismiss him was taken after careful consideration and thanked Lamour for his contribution.

Related News

Bagikan: